‘Moneru,’ Sleep-Promoting Supplement Derived from Algae Strain to launched at CES 2023.
Supplement that can be taken as food is based on the University of Tokyo’s 20-year scientific research.
LAS VEGAS (Dec. 26, 2022) – At CES® 2023 (Jan. 5-8) and ShowStoppers® (Jan. 5), Algal Bio, a Japanese greentech startup, will unveil “Moneru,” a sleep-promoting supplement derived from a microalgae strain that’s been shown to have anti-stress and anti-depression effects in studies. Algal Bio, a University of Tokyo spinoff, developed the supplement using its proprietary “Algae Bio-Foundry Platform,” which brings together the university’s 20+ years of research on their extensive catalog of algae strains, including advanced breeding and cultivation techniques. The supplement is slated for release in Japan through clinical channels in January 2023. “Moneru” won a CES 2023 Innovation Award in the Food & Ag Tech category.
“Insomnia symptoms are a serious threat to public health, affecting hundreds of millions of people
worldwide. While having quality and adequate sleep is essential to our health, there aren’t many
evidence-based, non-pharmaceutical solutions that people can easily access,” Algal Bio CEO Amane
Kimura said. “‘Moneru’ is a natural functional food that can help people stay healthier. Our scientific
research shows that it’s effective in inducing sleep and improving users’ sleep quality and mood during
the day. We are very excited to introduce this innovative product at CES 2023.”
Moneru’s innovative features:
- Enables people to sleep better using food, not medication, as an aid
- Natural, non-GMO product derived from microalgae
- Functional active ingredients with anti-insomnia as supported by scientific studies involving human monitors.
Science behind Moneru:
- Moneru is derived from algae strain, AL-0015, which our “Algae Bio-Foundry Platform” identified as having the best effects in improving people’s sleep quality. The platform enabled us to determine the optimal conditions for cultivating the strain.
- Our in-vitro and in-vivo tests confirmed the neuroprotective and anti-depressant effects of the strain.
- Our tests of human monitors have shown improvements in their ability to fall asleep, their quality of sleep and their mood during the day after taking the supplement for four weeks. The monitors also reported a reduction in their stress levels.
Algal Bio is a Japanese greentech startup founded as a spinoff of the University of Tokyo’s research
project. They explore many hidden potentials of microalgae to solve various societal issues. Algal Bio envisions a sustainable society based on a circular economy and symbiosis and believe accelerating the industrial use of algae – as food and clean energy, among other purposes – will help get us there faster.
About ‘Japan (J-Startup) Pavilion @Eureka Park’:
Presented by the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), the “Japan (J-Startup) Pavilion @Eureka
Park” brings together the country’s innovative startups with proprietary leading-edge technologies. At
CES 2023, the pavilion will feature 36 companies in industries ranging from AI to robotics, space to
mobility, among others.
CES® is one of the world’s largest technology trade shows held annually in Las Vegas. Bringing together
2,279 exhibitors and 84,500 attendees between Las Vegas and online venues at CES 2022, the event is
billed as the “the proving ground for breakthrough technologies and global innovators.” At CES 2020
held prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, 4,600 companies showcased 20,000 products and services.